Sunday, August 14, 2011

Chair redo

















Want to see my latest project? LOL. I needed some new chairs for our family cabin as the ones we had were metal, old, and squeeky and drove my husband nuts. Well, not wanting to spend a fortune, I found a different old table and chair set that I bought off of our local want ads for only $60.00 and decided to give my hand a try at refinishing some furniture. The set has 6 chairs and a table but I just started with the one that was in the worst condition. I forgot to get a picture, but the back of this chair originally had wicker in it which was all busted out and hanging in pieces. I took it down to my father-in-law and asked him if it were possible to do something with it. We removed the wicker and he added these slats! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them so much better now. Now I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort to rip the other 5 chairs apart and add the slats too! LOL. I don't know what kind of wood these chairs are, but they are really dense wood and he had a heck of a time drilling through the side of the chair to countersink the screws for the slats. Now we are talking about a man who has an entire woodshop and playing with wood is a hobby and side business he's been in for many years so that fact that he had trouble drilling the counterholes made me wonder if it was worth it for the other 5 chairs. However, I love it! I wasn't crazy about the medallion on the top of the chairs either and so a little wood filler took care of that. Anyway, here is almost the finished project. I haven't attached the seat or the fabric yet and I still have to add the bears to the top of the chair where the medallion was, but this is a pretty good idea of what they will look like. I love the distressed look that I got by sanding these chairs after I had primed and painted them and I then added some stain over the top of the paint to give it a distressed aged look since I didn't have any glaze. I really like how they turned out and can't wait until I'm done with this one and the rest of them. What do you think?
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment